Because teaching is more than just having the "Pinterest" worthy lesson ...

Whether it's your first year teaching or your 29th ... there are going to be those days when you feel like a tornado has hit your classroom and by the end of the day you are wishing for a good glass of wine ... a nice long shower ... or a trip down to the dollar spot at target lol

Well ... today was one of those days for me.  It was rough from the start and I spent the whole day adjusting to the moods and chaos of my class.  Sometimes ... the kids need more than the well thought out lesson ... sometimes ... they just need to blow off some steam lol

More and more ... I see a focus on common core and getting the kids to a certain reading level versus letting the kids be kids and that worries me.  I chose "Teaching Hearts and Minds" for a reason and that is because on teaching days like these... I am reminded ... and not in a subtle way at all that for kids ... coming to school is more than just coming to learn how to read and add ... its about coming to a place where they feel safe ... where we learn how to choose kind, be kind, and live in a kind way.  It's where your teacher makes you "feel" you are valued and loved ... where you learn how to be friends with one another...respect one another ... where you learn that families come in different forms, shapes, and sizes.  And this my friends ... is not always learned through thatt amazing lesson on your smartboard, or posted on seesaw, or written down in their writing folders ... it's learned through their interactions with one another.

And on a day like today ... those interactions come in the form of a morning meeting where the kids get to tell you why they came into school not feeling so great ... or through their exploration play time where they go to the house center or in their journals where they get to write out how they feel. 

Today my classroom did not have any "Pinterest" worthy moments ... but we sure did have some good life learning lessons.  

When my "special" friend started screaming to avoid doing their work and all the "first/thens" weren't working ... my students learned how to accept each other for all of our differences and work as a team to encourage each other when we don't feel like learning.

When another friend decides to have a complete meltdown and throw things in the room ... the kids learned how to stay calm in a tough situation and not give negative attention or feedback to their peers.

And at the end of the day ... I didn't have anything awesome to post on instagram or contribute to tpt ... but I did feel good about sending all the kids off with smiles.  I felt good that both of my "friends" ended the day happy and knowing that no matter what I won't give up on them.  

And yes ... I'm probably not writing a post that will get repinned or impress anyone ...but you know what ... I know there are so many awesome teachers out there like me ... in the trenches ... doing the best we can on the most toughest teaching days ... and even if no one on social media knows what amazing things we were able to accomplish outside of the "mandated" curriculum ... we know ... and probably that empty glass of wine knows ...oh heck who am I kidding ... that empty BOTTLE of wine knows ... and the target dollar spot knows too lol 

Here's to all of us teachers ... Pinterest worthy or not ... who keep going ... even on crazy days ... because we love what we do ... we love the kids no matter what ... and we just keep going ... 

Cheers to all of you my friends!  Let's hope the week ends a lot better than it started for me!

Keep Moving Forward! 

No comments